MI is very easy to spot on an ingredient label since it’s so long and is typically towards the end of an ingredient list. This ingredient is a powerful biocide, which is a chemical substance that can control or kill harmful microorganisms. It is often found in antibacterial products, and came into play as a preservative swap when parabens started getting a bad public reputation. Unlike some synthetic chemicals; however, this one isn’t just a mild skin irritant…
The biggest concern came to light when researchers conducted two recent laboratory studies on rat brain cells, and found that MI caused damage to those cells. The researchers stated, “a brief exposure that MI is highly toxic to cultured neurons.” The scientists went on to state that these toxic effects had been reported previously, and because of their widespread use, the consequences of chronic human exposure need to be evaluated.
Sadly, the Cosmetic, Toiletry, and Fragrance Association (CFTA) issued a response stating that MI is safe as it is already widely used in cosmetic formulas.
In 2004 Europe limited the use of MI to 0.01 percent, or 100 parts per million (ppm), but in the USA it is still completely UNREGULATED. Additional studies have shown MI to CAUSE DERMATITIS, and a 2012 a study found it to be toxic during neural developmental stages to the fetus, increasing the risk of seizures and visual abnormalities.
The EWG also states that MI is a skin sensitizer and irritant, which means that it can cause contact allergies such as eczema.
Simply not worth the risk in my opinion. Safe and effective swaps are readily available.
It is time to ditch the toxins and take proactive steps towards reducing your body burden and living well.