These days, more and more people are trying out infrared saunas for their numerous health benefits and relaxing effects. Let’s break down the benefits of infrared sauna detox therapy and examine how you can enjoy each session to the fullest.
What is an Infrared Sauna?
An infrared sauna uses infrared light to warm the body and detox your system instead of steam or other heat sources. Depending on the sauna in question, it might use one of three types of infrared light: near-infrared, far-infrared, or full-spectrum infrared.
In most cases, the best infrared saunas are “full-spectrum” infrared saunas, which combine the benefits of light from across the infrared spectrum.
How Do Infrared Saunas Work?
Infrared saunas work similarly to regular saunas. Just like their traditional counterparts, infrared saunas use heat to warm your body within a small space. This results in a number of physiological effects, such as increased heart rate, sweating, and muscle relaxation.
But instead of traditional saunas, which primarily heat the air around your body, infrared saunas use light to heat your body directly. This is similar to the warming sensation you feel when your skin is exposed to the sun.
Infrared Sauna Detox Benefits
As your body heats up, it begins to sweat out toxins. Toxins and other impurities are purged from your system naturally as you sweat, alongside water and salt. That’s because our bodies gradually accumulate certain compounds, such as mycotoxins and pesticides, over time—whether it’s from our diets or our environments.
Sweating can help to rid the body of foreign substances like heavy metals and other toxins. Infrared sauna detox therapy can help you to sweat more and flush these substances from your body faster than other methods.
In this way, an infrared sauna can detox your system by causing your body to sweat rapidly and thoroughly. This removes toxins from your system and provides a number of extra physiological benefits.
Tips for Infrared Sauna Detox
You’ll be most likely to benefit from infrared sauna detox if you use your sauna correctly. Here are a few tips to help ensure you get the most benefit out of each infrared sauna detox session:
- Hydrate Well. You’ll sweat significantly each time you step into an infrared sauna, so be sure to hydrate properly beforehand. Most of your sweat is made of water, even if it also contains some toxins and other potentially harmful elements.
- Don’t Stay Inside for Too Long. Be sure to set a time limit for your sauna detox sessions. In general, most people only need infrared sauna therapy sessions of between 10 and 15 minutes to get maximum benefits. You can go up to a half-hour or so after your body becomes used to the effects of the sauna, but don’t stay inside for longer, as this can heat up your body too much.
- Use a Comfortable Temperature. Don’t succumb to the temptation to raise the heat of your sauna too high. Sauna temperatures between 100° and 130°F are ideal for your comfort and for detoxification.
- Towel Off. During your sauna session, use a towel to wipe off sweat, so the toxins do not reabsorb back into your body.
- Shower Afterwards. When your sauna session is done, take a cool shower. While in the sauna, vasodilation occurs and the pores in the skin are open. A cool shower after you sauna session closes your pores.
Get Started Today
Want to enjoy the benefits of infrared sauna detox therapy in your own home? Explore the Clearlight® Clearlight Infrared Sauna models available at The Sauna Life today! We have options available for indoor and outdoor use as well as options ranging from cozy one-person saunas to 4-5 person saunas that are great for small groups.